When I was a teenager…

I figure that since I write books for teenagers, maybe I should talk about myself when I was a teenager. I talked about that almighty rite of passage, prom, last month. But what about some other things from Stephanie’s Teenage Years?

Well, I was in marching band. I played flute. I was actually pretty good at it, until I started playing oboe senior year in my school’s wind ensemble and was only playing flute during marching season. I even found some photographic evidence. Here I am in one of our horrid old wool uniforms:

I also did Knowledge Bowl. So, basically, I got out of school once a month to go do something nerdier than school, because even Teenage Stephanie was That Awesome.

I was also one of the founding members of my high school’s creative writing club, which, according to my sister, was still going strong when she graduated last year.

In other news, did you know that it was possible to letter in academics? Because I totally did. I took every single AP social studies class my school offered (I even waived PE my senior year because I couldn’t decide between AP European History and AP Government…so I took both). This was in addition to my letters in band and Knowledge Bowl.

So, basically, I was a huge nerd in high school. Not much has changed…if anything, I’m an even bigger nerd now than I was then!

So, my lovelies, what were you like in high school?

6 thoughts on “When I was a teenager…

1. Katy Upperman says:

I love how you've so embraced your nerdiness here, and in high school. I was equally as nerdy, I think, but not nearly as comfortable with myself. I ended up feeling the need to compensate. That made me slightly disingenuous, though I didn't realize it then, of course. I wish I could have been more confident with who I was back then, and appreciated my smarts and nerdy habits more fully. Great post, Steph!

2. Rachel says:

Steph – its so nice to see you embraced your nerdiness. I wish I had done more of that in high school! In hs, I was kind of loud and annoying. I said 'no' to every boy that asked me out because he wasn't 'the right one'… I was co-captain of the cross country team, ran a book club, was in Honors English, was on Honor Roll every semester, was on the bowling team, was the newspaper editor, was the yearbook editor, did community service, volunteered at our town library/then worked there for a year.. I also fought for our creative writing class. It got cut my 3rd year of high school and I wrote to the board of education to bring it back. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Darn budget cuts! But yea….I was very involved 😛

3. Heather says:

Total respect for being a nerd. I was an honorary-drama nerd. I was always too shy to audition for school plays, but I would help people memorize their lines and would usher for every show. I also did the non-cool sports. Gymnastics. No one looks at gymnasts when the cheerleaders are around. We even got kicked out of our practice room at the school because the cheerleaders "needed" the extra space. So we had to find somewhere else. I also took lots of AP social studies classes and read until my eyes blurred. I love being a nerd. Nerd five!

4. Dana says:

I was a complete nerd–honor society member, band geek, an officer in several extracurricular clubs… You name something "geeky," and I was probably doing it. LOL

5. Mrs. Silverstein says:

Yay nerds! I was so nerdy, the DARE officer took me (and a few of my friends) out of class to talk to elementary school kids about the dangers of drinking/smoking/drugs…because they knew we could truthfully tell the kiddos that we didn't indulge. But hey, our "cool" friends who did were stuck in classes all day, so who came out ahead? Oh yeah. THE NERDS. I was also a band geek, theater kid, and whatever you call a girl who sang in four different choirs, one outside of school. Our school was big enough that we really didn't have a cohesive "cool" group, though, which made life a lot easier.

6. Lynn Proctor says:

my daughter has her theory, that her generation (she is 17) is all about who is the most different–so you were maybe before your time—but i think you sound pretty great–you don't want to know about my teenage years—or wait, maybe that could be my next book–but could not be for teenagers;)